Tarot Overflow
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tarot Overflow

A Friendly Group For Learning Tarot And Oracle Cards.Closed Reading Exchanges. Tarot Challenges.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
❤❤❤Love February Tarot Challenge ❤❤❤ Now Open To Members.

Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Pandora
Pandora

Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks Empty
PostSubject: Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks   Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 9:25 pm

Does anyone have a preference for digital art versus traditional art for decks?

As someone who has always been an art lover, I've found it difficult to come to grips with decks where the art has been digitally drawn. Possibly because I'm simply old fashioned and haven't moved with the times, or perhaps because I really don't have much knowledge as to how digital decks are drawn.

Some decks that are obviously digitally drawn such as the first example below Gaian Tarot by Joanna Powell Colbert, just don't sit right with me. Maybe it's the simplicity of the deck, which looks so obviously photoshopped (to me anyway. As I say, I don't have any experience, so I could be talking out of my you know where).

Other decks such as the second example, Arcanum Tarot by Renata Lechner, look quite beautifully done, to the extent that it's difficult to pick if they even are digitally drawn. Unfortunately, usually the decks don't indicate whether the artwork is digital or not.

What are your thoughts?

Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks IUHqmusl

Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks 25pF9C7l

Back to top Go down
55Degrees
Admin
55Degrees

PostSubject: Re: Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks   Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 1:03 am

I think it depends how well a digital deck is done.

Some, (like Mystic Dreamer) is not to my liking. It's obvious that it's digitally manipulated and, to me, looks like bad photoshop. I got rid of my Mystic Dreamer deck because I hated the photoshopped faces.

There was also a person, no longer on the tarotsphere, who churned out a prolific number of card decks that were basically photoshopped images and people lapped them up.  

I do prefer 'art' decks, where the images have been drawn/painted by the artist, over digital decks.

Now where do you put Ciro Marchetti in this list? 
I put him in the 'art' genre.
He creates his work, from scratch, it's all original artwork, but created using, what must be the most amazing, software on a computer. 
Do we call his decks digital or not (his work on Fin de Siecle Kipper is breathtaking). 
How do you, personally, decide what constitutes 'art' and what is digital in tarot?
Is it pre-existing art, manipulated digitally to fit the tarot, or is it anything not produced on canvas?
Back to top Go down
https://55degreestarot.com
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks   Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 2:19 am

Yeah, I tend to agree with you. I've tried gelling with Mystic Dreamer but the images are so damn small, it's difficult to see what the hell's going on in the card. And yes, you're right, the faces look really badly photoshopped.

Some decks are really obviously digital but some I'm not sure about and they don't actually say on the deck. I can't think which ones at the moment. When I get time, I'll get some out and post some photos.

Well, this is going to make me look very ignorant. I actually thought Ciro's work was original. I had no idea it was digital! Wow! How is that even possible???
Back to top Go down
55Degrees
Admin
55Degrees

PostSubject: Re: Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks   Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 7:53 am

Ciro has a youtube channel that shows you a speeded up version of his art process Here, it's amazing.

Pandora likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://55degreestarot.com
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks   Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks EmptyFri Oct 30, 2020 7:56 am

Thanks. I'll check it out. I think you put the link in somewhere before but I forgot about it! Doh!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks   Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks Empty

Back to top Go down

Traditional Versus Digital Art for Divination Decks
Page 1 of 1