Tarot Overflow
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tarot Overflow

A Friendly Group For Learning Tarot And Oracle Cards.Closed Reading Exchanges. Tarot Challenges.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  Latest imagesLatest images  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
❤❤❤Love February Tarot Challenge ❤❤❤ Now Open To Members.

Multiple decks in a reading

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pandora
Pandora

Multiple decks in a reading Empty
PostSubject: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 12:38 am

Does anyone use multiple decks in a reading? If so, how do you use them? Do you have any recommended methods or spreads you could share?

steelewizard likes this post

Back to top Go down
55Degrees
Admin
55Degrees

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyThu Oct 15, 2020 6:52 am

I have used 2 tarot decks at once for a large spread, but only a couple of times.
I used one deck for the main spread and then the extra deck for context. 
I've also used different decks for a year ahead spread, looking at the physical, spiritual and emotional aspects (I used Legacy, Osho Zen & Good Tarot for the different aspects)
I do use tarot and oracle together, when I do certain spreads, which is why I like to find decks that work well together, I used to use both for general tarot scope readings.

I know Ethony has some spreads here which you may find useful.

Pandora likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://55degreestarot.com
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 5:57 am

I wasn't all that enamoured with Ethony's spreads to be honest. She didn't really explain them very well and the cards were too difficult to see when she did the reading. I didn't really gel with them or her, for that matter.

Back to top Go down
55Degrees
Admin
55Degrees

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptySun Oct 18, 2020 10:44 am

Pandora wrote:
I wasn't all that enamoured with Ethony's spreads to be honest. She didn't really explain them very well and the cards were too difficult to see when she did the reading. I didn't really gel with them or her, for that matter.
Haha, me neither, I'm not one for 'tarot gurus'. 
I only really gel with about 3 or 4 well established tarot readers, although I do float around on channels and websites to see if there is anything that piques my interest.
Back to top Go down
steelewizard
Trustee
steelewizard

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Pandora wrote:
Does anyone use multiple decks in a reading? If so, how do you use them? Do you have any recommended methods or spreads you could share?

This is something new for me. Until last year, I used a single deck exclusively when reading. Then, after completing the oracle, I had a few sample copies made for me and another reader.

The first time I sat down to do a reading for a client, I had the oracle with me. On instinct, I fanned the oracle face down and asked the client to choose one.

She did, and when I saw which one I knew the reading was going to focus on that aspect of her growth.
Since then, every single reading I've done has begun with having the client choose an oracle card. It works far better than the client trying to formulate a question. They're often more confused by what to ask or how to phrase the question than not. Even if they have a specific question in mind, the oracle card will still clarify the archetype and path-work that needs to be explored.

I believe that this method could be used by taking the majors only out of a second deck and using those as an oracle reference.

55Degrees and Pandora like this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.steelewizard.com
55Degrees
Admin
55Degrees

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 8:38 pm

steelewizard wrote:
Pandora wrote:

This is something new for me. Until last year, I used a single deck exclusively when reading. Then, after completing the oracle, I had a few sample copies made for me and another reader.

The first time I sat down to do a reading for a client, I had the oracle with me. On instinct, I fanned the oracle face down and asked the client to choose one.

She did, and when I saw which one I knew the reading was going to focus on that aspect of her growth.
Since then, every single reading I've done has begun with having the client choose an oracle card. It works far better than the client trying to formulate a question. They're often more confused by what to ask or how to phrase the question than not. Even if they have a specific question in mind, the oracle card will still clarify the archetype and path-work that needs to be explored.

I believe that this method could be used by taking the majors only out of a second deck and using those as an oracle reference.
I agree about using the second deck as an oracle.
We do something similar in "your card is your question", in the Fun and Games section. I devised it, on a different forum, about 5 years ago. 
It also helps to start seeing the cards outside of the keywords when you have to formulate a question around the card. 
It also can act as a prompt for their card of the dat.
But yeah, it does act as an oracle card for the overall subject of the reading.

Did anyone watch Christiana Gaudet's Tarot Grand Tableau video. It looks like it would give some really deep readings.
I tried it earlier (just a quick layout) and all I can say is, it's certainly interesting.

Pandora and steelewizard like this post

Back to top Go down
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 9:01 pm

No, I didn't see Christiana Gaudet's Tarot Grand Tableau video. I'll have a look later. It sounds interesting.

55Degrees and steelewizard like this post

Back to top Go down
RainbowSparkle
Trustee

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyThu Feb 25, 2021 8:54 pm

I nearly always use multiple decks in a reading. I intuitively choose them depending on the theme of the reading.
For the year reading I used to do, created it myself, I used 7-9 different decks.
For love a card from a love deck, also Lenormand, Tarot, other oracle cards.
It's fun and handy as an oracle deck usually has a specific feel or a theme even.

Multiple Tarot decks I only do if I want to possibility of a card to come up again in a different position.
Especially handy when doing Pick a Cards, but I often do it within each set, not necessarily a different Tarot deck per set.
And sometimes I also use 2 Tarot decks for one reading (not a pick a card) for the same reason. Or... to get different kind of answers. For instance the Wildwood Tarot can really trigger me deeply, away from default RWS interpretation which sometimes is really nice and called for.

Pandora likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyThu Feb 25, 2021 9:24 pm

Pandora wrote:

I use two deck by Jamie Sams in a reading now and again. She has a spread that requires Sacred Path Cards/Medicine Cards

I enjoy readings with elements so sometimes I do a 4 direction spread with my Tarot. I don't ask a question though but each card is the energy of North/East/South and West.

As I am still learning I bought two books from Melissa Cynova. Her books have the Llewellyn Classic Tarot. So when I do a reading I use that deck but I take the same cards from my Light Seer Deck and compare the images because that is the deck I truly connect with but find it helpful to use the Llewellyn deck with the books.

Back to top Go down
steelewizard
Trustee
steelewizard

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyMon Mar 08, 2021 11:10 pm

Pandora wrote:
Personally, she's a sweetheart and super nice and easy to talk to. But, I'm with you on the teachings. I'm not sure why. She's a great girl and very dedicated to the craft. But it's almost like there are bits of info missing that are vital.

Pandora likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 5:47 am

I'm sure she is a sweetheart. I didn't mean to sound derogatory towards her personally. It's just I didn't gel with the way she came across teaching or explaining the reading. I'm quite sure there are quite a few people who don't gel with some of my aspects, hahahahaha!

Back to top Go down
steelewizard
Trustee
steelewizard

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 3:04 pm

Pandora wrote:
I'm sure she is a sweetheart. I didn't mean to sound derogatory towards her personally. It's just I didn't gel with the way she came across teaching or explaining the reading. I'm quite sure there are quite a few people who don't gel with some of my aspects, hahahahaha!

Oh, I understood completely and didn't take it as anything other than the "non-gelling" aspect. Or would non-gelling a problem with aspic?
That's why there are lots of people writing books and creating decks. We each have our own unique way of reading and working with the cards. And no matter how long or short the time we've been reading, we're always learning. The trick is to find the others who make up your particular community.
It's all good.

Pandora likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyTue Mar 09, 2021 4:37 pm

Very true. Each year I add a few decks to my collection. I've gone from one extreme to the other - cheap decks for less than $20 and more expensive decks over the $50 mark. It's surprising which decks have aspic and which don't! I recently bought the Wizards Tarot by Barbara Moore and Mieke Janssens which I'm having a hard time connection with, despite the beautiful artwork. Yet, Tarot of the Little Prince which I picked up for $15 reads like a dream. I'll be interested to see what your deck is like when it arrives. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to come from Canada with the COVID disruptions! Wink

Back to top Go down
steelewizard
Trustee
steelewizard

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 1:50 am

Pandora wrote:
Very true. Each year I add a few decks to my collection. I've gone from one extreme to the other - cheap decks for less than $20 and more expensive decks over the $50 mark. It's surprising which decks have aspic and which don't! I recently bought the Wizards Tarot by Barbara Moore and Mieke Janssens which I'm having a hard time connection with, despite the beautiful artwork. Yet, Tarot of the Little Prince which I picked up for $15 reads like a dream. I'll be interested to see what your deck is like when it arrives. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to come from Canada with the COVID disruptions! Wink

I am really curious what you will think of it. Also, if you ordered the solo copy without the book, the LWB is a free download on the website listed on the box. Or, since you know the creator, you could request a copy of the book she's writing that's not in print yet, but she could put it into a PDF for you.
Back to top Go down
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 3:20 am

I ordered the set with the book. I've just picked up an Amazon order of Tarot decks, which took around 2 weeks. I'm guessing it will take around the same time for your order to come through. I love getting new decks. The wait is going to kill me ... Crying or Very sad I would absolutely love a copy of your book. PDF works for me. Very Happy I'll PM my email.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 7:08 am

I have not thought of using multiple decks to do a reading except the odd occasion with the Jamie Sams medicine cards/Sacred path cards but the last few days I have been using the Everyday Witch deck and she has an oracle deck as well. I just ordered it and look forward to add it to my readings.
Back to top Go down
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 7:16 am

I have been quite surprised in the experimental oracle challenge using an oracle deck with a tarot deck. Some of the decks naturally go together, such as Ciro Marchetti's tarot and oracle decks, as well as Deborah Blake's Everyday Witch oracle and tarot deck. I'm going to be on the look out now for authors who have tarot decks as well as oracles to use together.

Goldustwoman and steelewizard like this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 2:54 pm

I just found after some googling that the Wild Unknown Tarot and Animal Spirit are two decks that go together.
Also the good tarot and the oracle of wisdom by colette baron-reid are nice together.

That is how far I got with a little research.
Back to top Go down
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 3:03 pm

That's fantastic Phoenix. Thanks for doing some research. I've got the Good Tarot and the Oracle of Wisdom, so I'll try them together and see how they go.

Goldustwoman likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyWed Mar 10, 2021 3:08 pm

I also think an animal oracle would go together a tarot deck but I am very biased as I started with animal cards.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyThu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 am

Well, last night I got my Everyday witch oracle and I love it. It really goes well with her tarot deck. The only thing I don't like though is that the cards have no numbers on it so you have to fiddles around with the book to find the card.
Back to top Go down
Pandora
Pandora

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyThu Mar 11, 2021 7:14 am

Yes, I agree. I love it too. And no numbers is irritating. I've noticed a few authors do that. Her book isn't too bad when finding the card meanings though. Compared to others, anyway.

Goldustwoman likes this post

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyThu Mar 11, 2021 8:37 am

I have put the numbers on the back with the element. That way I can see in an instant what element is dominant. Melissa Cynova has really nice elements readings in her book Tarot Elements, so I can do a follow up on for example a water element reading.
Back to top Go down
Goldustwoman
Trustee
Goldustwoman

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading EmptyMon Mar 15, 2021 7:49 pm

Well still early days as I am connecting with a couple of decks at the moment, however I did find last night on a couple of readings that the Dreams of Gaia by ravynne phelan tarot & the divine circus by Alana fairchild oracle complimented each other. With the dreams of gaia it looks at potential blockages in the guide book and the divine circus also focuses on healing tricks and affirmations, like I say still early days. I will come back to this post at some point further Wink .

Pandora likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multiple decks in a reading   Multiple decks in a reading Empty

Back to top Go down

Multiple decks in a reading
Page 1 of 1